Manager, Quality Engineering - Sensor Products
Company: L3Harris Technologies
Posted on: September 21, 2023
Description: Manager, Quality Engineering
About Space & Sensors:
L3Harris Space & Sensors Division, headquartered in Mason, Ohio,
designs, develops, and manufactures complex systems (electronic,
avionics, transceivers, transmitters, electro-optical, and
electro-mechanical) for the defense, aerospace, and commercial
markets. L3Harris is a recognized leader in Electro-Optical
technologies that enable systems to support surveillance,
reconnaissance, threat detection, and self-protection missions. Our
world-class Space Avionics systems include equipment for Mars
Rover/Landers/Orbiters, Launch Vehicles, and Imaging Satellite
Space & Sensors team members bring their passion for innovation and
engineering, their desire to push the envelope to adapt,
communicate, and deliver on highly reliable mission-critical
systems. We offer an alternative 9/80 work schedule with every
other Friday off, and the opportunity to work with a talented and
diverse group of professionals. Focused on fostering a diverse and
inclusive environment where employees can grow and develop
professionally, employees can get engaged with several Employee
Resource Groups (ERGs), participate in monthly activities hosted by
our Employee Engagement Committee, or get involved with volunteer
opportunities through our L3Harris Investing for Tomorrow community
Mason, OH is located in Warren County, "Ohio's Largest Playground."
Major attractions are right around the corner, including Great Wolf
Lodge and Kings Island Amusement Park. Our site is 20 minutes from
downtown Cincinnati, where there are multiple attractions including
The Newport Aquarium and The Cincinnati Zoo. Cincinnati is also the
home AFC Champions the Cincinnati Bengals, the Cincinnati Reds, the
Cincinnati Cyclones and FC Cincinnati of Major League Soccer
L3Harris Space & Sensors Division is seeking a Quality Engineering
Manager. The Quality Engineering Manger leads a professional team
on the sensors side of the business, that designs, writes,
implements, evaluates, and revises quality procedures, quality
plans, inspection and testing techniques and specifications for
high reliability products that remain failure free. The successful
candidate will actively lead the team toward timely solutions that
will support internal and external customers. The manager will
ensure that the team provides thorough and practical, risk-based
solutions to a wide range of technical CI and issues through the
application of quality engineering disciplines and tools. This
position is responsible for Cost Account Management (CAM) for
program activity to include input for bid and proposal
Ideal candidates must have strong team building and support skills.
Additionally, candidates will have practical mechanical and
electrical assembly and inspection knowledge.
- Actively leads a Quality Engineering team with agility to
address technical issues in support of the internal and external
program and production teams.
- Manages quality engineers who develop quality plans, flow
charts, inspection methods, procedures, and standards, including
detailed instructions, check lists, sampling plans, classification
of defects, etc. to assure all products meet process, system, and
contractual quality requirements.
- Ensures that quality engineering effectively reviews,
interprets, and flows down customer contractual quality
requirements to the program office, engineering, manufacturing, and
- Must communicate and interface successfully with external and
internal customers by discussing quality specifications and actions
taken to prevent or correct problems with our products.
- Oversees and ensures the success of quality engineers who
review engineering and manufacturing information on new and revised
designs, specifications, and bills of materials; production, tool,
and test equipment drawings; production and tool plans; operations
and routing sheets; production, storage, and shipping methods to
assure that products meet customers' requirements with minimum
variation and ease of inspection.
- Oversees and ensures that quality engineering provides timely,
thorough, practical, and risk-based solutions to a wide range of
technical production problems involving the utilization of
manufacturing and quality engineering techniques.
- Leads and manages quality engineering teams that effectively
perform investigations to determine the root cause for product and
process nonconformance utilizing Green/Black Belt
- Ensures that quality engineering initiates and follows-up on
inspection and test methods and procedures to ascertain proper
administration and compliance with all requirements. Assists in
cost reduction through lean manufacturing techniques.
- Leads, mentors, and assists in preparing quality cost estimates
for proposals including estimates for special facilities, services
and techniques required for performance of the proposed programs.
Leads, supports, and mentors quality engineering CAM roles and
- Build and maintain a role in supporting cross functional
internal and external teams with Engineering, Operations, Program
Management Office, and the customer as required.
- Assist in training employees of all functions in quality,
ISO9001, AS9100, customer requirements and company practices,
including indoctrination of employees to new quality principles and
the CAM role.
- Prepares job descriptions and successfully interviews and hires
proficient candidates for the Quality Engineering Team.
- Bachelor's Degree and minimum 9 years prior related experience,
or a Graduate Degree with a minimum of 7 years of prior related
experience. In lieu of a degree, minimum of 13 years of prior
- A minimum of 5 years of demonstrated experience in a role where
required to read and interpret electrical and mechanical drawings
- A minimum of 3 years of experience directly managing others
within a Quality Organization.
- A minimum of 3 or more years of experience using and coaching
8D, Red-X, Design for Six Sigma and other formal root cause and
corrective action tools.
- A minimum of 5 years of demonstrated knowledge of AS9100, ISO
9001, NADCAP and CMMi.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral with
experience preparing and delivering presentation to multiple levels
of management. Have the ability to interact effectively with all
levels of management, peers and other employees relative to quality
and technical issues with a demonstrated history to helping shape
strategic plans and communicating those plans to their team to
- Have the ability to make decisions in a timely manner and
capable of assessing the risks that may result from the decisions
being made. Capable of working independently and dynamically with
minimum oversight with multiple and/or changing
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Minitab.
- Have sufficient financial background to perform, lead and
mentor Cost Account Management (CAM) activity within the
- Must be able to identify nonconformance and apply prevention
utilizing Green/Black Belt techniques such as DMAIC, FMEA, etc. and
apply Lean techniques such as Standard Work and Value Stream
- At least 8 or more years of experience in electro-mechanical
manufacturing environments with experience in mechanical and
- At least 5 or more years of experience directly managing a
Quality Engineering or Quality Organization with more than five
- At least 8 or more years as a Quality Engineering or Quality
- Aerospace or Defense Manufacturing Experience.
- Experience working with DCMA and government contracts.
- Knowledge of engineering and production processes used to
design, develop, and produce high-reliability mechanical and
electronic systems and sub-systems.
- Experience with J standards for electronic
- Experience with drawing interpretation and GD&T.
- Experience with hands-on mechanical and electronic inspection
- ASQ Certified Manager of Quality/Organizational
- ASQ Certified Quality Engineer.
Keywords: L3Harris Technologies, Middletown , Manager, Quality Engineering - Sensor Products, Executive , Mason, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!